World Doula Week is coming up March 22-28th. Kicking off on World Doula Day, the goal of World Doula Week is to showcase the impact that birth and postpartum doulas have on the physiological, social, emotional, and psychological health of women, newborns and families in the postpartum period.
Doulas are non-medical professionals who provide informational, educational and physical support during pregnancy, labor & birth and for the first 12 weeks of the postpartum period.
Benefits of the presence of doulas in birth and in the postpartum period:
- Reduces the incidence of c-sections
- May shorten the length of labor
- Reduces epidural and analgesic requests
- Increases breastfeeding initiation and continuation
- Increases mother’s satisfaction of birth experience
- Can reduce the incidence of postpartum mood disorders
- Increases new parents’ confidence in the care of their newborn
Dragonfly Postpartum Care provides postpartum doula support to Southern Maine families and is now taking inquiries for May. You can learn more here.
Throughout history, women have supported each other during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period. In today’s society of scattered friends and families, doulas fill this vital role of support for the people birthing the next generation.
Having a baby is one of life’s biggest transitions and greatest joys. However, many parents find themselves feeling extremely isolated and overwhelmed during pregnancy and the postpartum period after the initial excitement has subsided.
Hiring a doula can help reverse those feelings and provide the support that new families need to instead have a pregnancy and postpartum period that is filled with feelings of contentment and empowerment.
“She showed such kindness towards me during a difficult time and was a great resource.”
P.S., mom in Scarborough
“Over the course of several weeks, Heather not only cared for my daughter, but also walked with through some of the hardest (postpartum) weeks of my life.”
K.M., mom in Sanford
In honor of World Doula Week, here are the top 4 benefits of hiring a doula:
- Non-judgmental support – a doula does not come in with specific birthing plan or parenting style. Doulas do not push a specific ways of doing things. A doula is there to help you come up with your own birth plan and parenting style. She’ll help you figure out what feels right for your family. Doulas are also expert listeners who have no baggage of a family history with you.
- More enjoyable maternity leave – doulas help ease the transition for new parents. Having a baby is a major life change. Doulas are there to calmly support you through the shift and help you focus on enjoying it, rather than muddling through it alone.
- Expert advice – your doula can share what works for other families, and other ideas and tips based on her training and experience, IF YOU ASK. It’s so wonderful to have all your questions answered as you go instead of relying on Google.
- Decreased risk of postpartum depression & anxiety – research has shown that new mothers who feel supported tend to report less problems with postpartum mental health.
Dragonfly Postpartum Care helps new families in the Sanford area and beyond by providing postpartum doula support. Contact Heather today to learn more.